Webroot is well-known for creating quality computer security products and now they have leveraged their anti-malware and cloud-based URL scanning technologies to block threats on your mobile and assess the safety of links before you click on them.
Webroot Mobile Security is a security app which protects users as they browse, text, and download apps on Android devices. This fast, lightweight security solution blocks malicious apps, remotely locks your device, locates your device if it is lost or stolen, and blocks phishing sites, unwanted calls and text spam.
Even though some features are missing in the free version, it packs a punch and covers a large number of important features.
Webroot Mobile Security App:
Webroot Security app packs a punch and delivers an antivirus, lost device protection, safe browsing and call/SMS blocking in a single package. The antivirus updates the definitions before scanning and always keeps up-to-date.
You can check the settings, edit shield and scheduling settings, manage the ignored threats and view quarantined items.
The lost device protection needs to be setup before enabling the feature. You can add up to a maximum of 5 buddies whose mobile numbers can then be used to send commands to your lost device.
Toggling On/Off of Lost Device Protection and add buddies features are password protected.
Once the buddies are added, the protection can be enabled. A list of commands that can be sent to your device is displayed.
The commands also require your Webroot account password.
You can view the commands that can be sent to your device from your buddy’s device here.
Protection against Malicious websites and Call/SMS Blocking:
Webroot works in the background and warns your accessed webpages have malicious content. This helps to keep your device secure while browsing the web.
The call/SMS blocking feature is an additional plus for this app. It can replace any app that you may have installed just for that purpose.
All the section of the app offer a option as “How does this work again?” Selecting this option takes you to the online guide where the functionality is explained in detail. Else, you can also see all the details here. The app requires Android operating system version 2.1 or higher.
The main plus for Webroot is that unlike other applications on the market, it also automatically checks device settings to ensure they are secure. This is a paid feature.
Features of Webroot Mobile Security App :
Protects your identity and personal information if your mobile device is lost or stolen:
- Remotely locks your mobile device so it can’t be used by anyone but you
- Sends a temporary access code to a trusted friend in case you forget your password
- Sends you a map showing exactly where your device is located
- Sounds a loud alert to help you locate your phone or tablet nearby.
Blocks mobile threats before they can infect your mobile device, without affecting performance:
- Scans apps before they are installed to ensure they are safe
- Scans web links and URLs to block phishing and other harmful content before you connect
- Runs quietly in the background and requires no prompting or interaction from you
- Checks for security updates every day to ensure you have the latest protection
- Will not slow down your device or mobile browser
- Light on memory and battery usage.
Automatically safeguards your privacy:
- Blocks unwanted calls and text messages
- Informs you which apps have access to your personal information.
Webroot Mobile Security App also has a paid version that enables the below features:
- Remotely wipes your contacts, text messages, and other personal information
- Scans your device to ensure key settings are secure
- Keep track of what your apps are capable of and gives detailed report
Download Webroot Mobile Security from Android Market :
Start a barcode (QR code) scanner on your phone and scan the QR code below. This will take you directly to the Android market to download the app. If you do not have a QR Code scanner app, get one here.