If you are one of the many people who are eager to try out Windows 8, the latest Operating System from Microsoft, you’re in luck. You can now download the Windows 8 developer preview, install it, and give it a whirl right away.
Microsoft has made the downloads available on the Microsoft Dev. Centre. The downloads are available in both 32 and 64-bit versions, as well as a 64-bit version which can be downloaded along with the developer tools.
The developer tools version needs a clean install in the PC, but if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 on your machine, you can keep the accounts, files and settings with the new installation. In case of Windows XP only the accounts and files would be available.
We would recommend that you install this as a dual boot OS or on a virtual machine since this just the initial developer release and may have some bugs. You can find the details about the available downloads below.
Download Windows Developer Preview:
Note: Download links no longer available. (Update)
Windows Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64)
DOWNLOAD (4.8 GB)
Sha 1 hash – 6FE9352FB59F6D0789AF35D1001BD4E4E81E42AF
All of the following come on a disk image file (.iso).
- 64-bit Windows Developer Preview
- Windows SDK for Metro style apps
- Microsoft Visual Studio 11 Express for Windows Developer Preview
- Microsoft Expression Blend 5 Developer Preview
- 28 Metro style apps including the BUILD Conference app
Windows Developer Preview English, 64-bit (x64)
DOWNLOAD (3.6 GB)
Sha 1 hash – 79DBF235FD49F5C1C8F8C04E24BDE6E1D04DA1E9
Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Developer Preview and Metro style apps on a 64-bit PC.
Windows Developer Preview English, 32-bit (x86)
DOWNLOAD (2.8 GB)
Sha 1 hash – 4E0698BBABE01ED27582C9FC16AD21C4422913CC
Includes a disk image file (.iso) to install the Windows Developer Preview and Metro style apps on a 32-bit PC.
System Requirements for Installing Windows 8
Windows Developer Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows Vista and Windows 7:
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
- Taking advantage of touch input requires a screen that supports multi-touch
In the next few days you would see a number of torrents that would let you download the Windows 8 ISO. Please verify the Hash against the files listed above – before you install from the downloaded file.