Ever since laptops have replaced diaries, journals, files, and papers as the chief object for the storage of information, they have become a crucial part of our lives. In the good old days, important files and papers were usually preserved and protected into a safe or a lock was used. Now that paperwork is almost extinct, laptop locks have become crucial for maintaining security.
The Best Laptop Locks To Safeguard Your Device
Laptop locks come in different styles, such as cable locks or combination locks. Laptops with lock slots can be secured using T-bolt configurations. If your laptop doesn’t have a lock slot, you can use an adhesive-based laptop lock. Let’s check the best laptop locks to safeguard your device.
1. Kensington MicroSaver Retractable Portable Lock
While laptop locks come in several shapes, sizes, and types, they can satisfy almost every requirement of the user. In cases where you are constantly on the go after leaving your laptop open on a table, the Kensington Microsaver Retractable Portable Laptop Lock can help you keep your prized possession safe in your absence.
- The lock has a retractable cable.
- It comes with a case which makes it convenient to carry anywhere.
- The Kensington Microsaver lock has a 4-feet long cable.
- It uses a T-bar lock that offers better strength than standard locks.
- The lock is compact and does not block any slots of your laptop.
Note: It is compatible with any laptop that has a Kensington Slot.
2. Targus Defcon 1 Ultra Notebook Computer Security System
The Targus Defcon 1 Ultra Notebook Computer Security System enables users to safeguard and secure their laptops when they are traveling. The laptop lock is portable and small-sized, meaning you can carry it wherever you go.
- Portable and lightweight combination lock that requires a 4-digit password.
- The lock has an 85dB alarm ring that rings if anyone tries to cut the cable or trigger the motion detector.
- It is compatible with a T-bar mechanism.
3. FOLAI Combination Lock
If you want a laptop lock that has been used and reviewed by many people, the FOLAI Laptop combination lock is made for you. It has been very well-received by the audience in terms of design and functionality.
- The cable is about 6ft long.
- It is a combination lock.
- The cable is made of twisted steel.
- It offers reliability and sturdiness.
4. RUBAN Notebook and Security Cable Lock
The RUBAN Notebook Lock is pretty similar to the Kensington Microsaver Retractable Cable in terms of design. Since there are no number combinations, the RUBAN Notebook Lock comes with two keys, one of them being a spare.
- The lock comes with a 6.2ft cable.
- It has a T-bar mechanism.
- It is compatible with many laptops, docking stations, notebooks, and consoles.
Price: $14.99 onwards
5. Kensington Combination Lock
How about getting a lock where you don’t need a key to unlock it? The Kensington Combination Cable laptop lock is a great option if you are looking out for combination locks. The Kensington Combination Cable lock can only be used for the devices that are equipped with the standard Kensington Lock Slot.
- The lock needs a 4-digit password; it is a combination lock.
- Made of woven carbon steel; impossible to cut with a knife.
- It can be used for safeguarding projectors, game consoles, or printers.
Price: From $15.30 onwards
6. Targus Defcon Lock
The Targus Defcon Laptop Cable Lock is one of the toughest locks out there in the market. If anyone tries to pull this lock-off forcefully, he or she may end up ripping up the cable. The laptop, however, will remain safe and unharmed.
- The lock is made from galvanized steel.
- It has a cut-resistant cable.
- Compatible with several devices.
7. Dell Premium Keyed Laptop Lock
As its name suggests, the Dell Premium Keyed Laptop Lock is made by Dell for all its notebooks and laptops. It is regarded as one of the strongest and sturdiest laptop locks in the market. This lock comes with two keys, one of which can be used as a spare.
- The lock has a 6ft. cable made.
- It has a diameter of 5mm and made of composite steel.
- The lock is cut-resistant and allows users to make connections at 90 degrees.
- Easy to install and use.
- It has a T-bar mechanism that fits with a Kensington slot available in all Dell hardware.
8. Kensington Dell Computer Cable Lock
Not all laptop locks go with the Dell computers. But that’s not a cause to worry about, because Dell already has its own security arrangements in place. The Kensington Dell Computer Cable Lock ensures that your laptop stays away from the prying eyes of thieves and offers full-proof protection.
- The comes with a four-wheel lock with 10,000 combinations to choose from.
- The wire is made of carbon and steel and offers strength and flexibility.
- The lock has been tested in foreign implements, corrosion, lock lifecycle, and key strength.
Price: $21.31 onwards
9. Sendt Black Combination Lock
Locking down fragile and soft devices is always a risk. But, with the Sendt Black Combination cable locks, that’s not so much of a problem. However, this lock supports very few devices. Unfortunately, the Dell laptops aren’t on that list.
- The lock comes with a 6ft. long cable and a combination system.
- The laptop locking cable works on most of the projectors, notebooks, LCDs, and Plasma screens.
10. Belkin Notebook Security Laptop Lock
The Belkin Notebook Security laptop lock stands out amongst its competitors simply because it uses a standard padlock as the locking device. It can also be used with any other device that has a lock slot.
- The cable of the lock is 6ft. long.
- It is made up of galvanized steel.
- The lock has a master-key program for opening all the locks with a single key.
Price: $29.94 onwards
11. Kensington MacBook and Surface Laptop Lock
As its name suggests, the Kensington MacBook and Surface Laptop Lock is specially designed for Apple product users. You can lock your MacBook, MacBook Air, Surface 1 & 2, Chromebook, and other Apple laptops using this device. The Kensington MacBook and Surface Laptop Lock come with a two-year warranty and lifetime technical support.
- This lock has scratch-resistant bumpers.
- It is a combination lock that requires a 4-digit password.
- A non-invasive locking technology.
- It does not need hardware modifications on your laptop.
- Specially built for laptop lock for Apple devices.
Price: $29.34 onwards
12. FOLAI Laptop Cable Lock
Versatility is the best feature of the FOLAI Laptop Cable Lock. All you have to do is loop your laptop around a stationary object with the cut-resistant galvanized steel chain. This lock is also a great option when it comes to protecting electronic devices in public places.
- The lock comes with a self-coiling cable 6ft. long cable.
- The cable is 100% cut-resistant.
- The lock is made up of twisted steel.
- It works with smartphones, laptops, and iPads with the utmost ease.
Price: $9.99 onwards
13. Kensington 64068F Microsaver Keyed Lock
Laptop security is crucial for every user or owner who is away from his laptop for large periods. The Kensington 64068F is yet another lock that can help you on the go. The Kensington 64068F Microsaver Keyed Lock needs an anchor to be tied to. It is one of the best affordable locks available in the market.
- This lock comes with a traditional cable.
- It has a 6ft long rubber cable.
- A T-bar lock is available.
- The Kensington Register & Retrieve program will help in getting a new key if the original is lost
14. Wedge Low Profile Laptop Lock
Many laptop locks mentioned on this list are incompatible with Dell laptops. That is because most laptops have a Kensington lock slot while the Dell laptops have a Noble lock slot. However, Dell users need not worry about the scarcity of laptop security locks for their devices.
The Wedge Low Profile laptop lock is compatible with Dell Venue Tablets, XPS 11,12,13,15, and 18. The list also includes Precision M3800, Inspiron 3000 series 11,13, 7000 series 13,14, and all Alienware notebooks.
- It is a simple lock that can protect a laptop with the click of a button.
- The cable is made of reinforced steel.
- This lock supports the master key which can be used in case you lose your keys.
15. Kensington ClickSafe Keyed Retractable Lock
The Kensington ClickSafe Keyed Retractable Laptop Lock has the shortest cable amongst all the other laptop cable locks. Unfortunately, the ClickSage Keyed Retractable lock won’t go with a certain number of Dell laptops such as Inspiron, Latitude, Venue, XPS, and Chromebook because these devices use a Noble lock slot.
- The lock has a 4ft. short cable.
- It has Tamper Resistant technology, which alerts users when someone tries to steal their laptop or computer.
- This offers the best level of security, thanks to the Hidden Pin technology.
Factors To Consider Before Buying A Laptop Lock
However, before buying a laptop lock, the users need to brood over certain factors that can help them in getting the best ones.
- Frequency of use
It’s only prudent to buy a laptop lock if you take your laptop with you to crowded places. If your laptop hardly leaves home, there’s no point in getting a laptop lock just for the sake of it.
- Laptop lock slot
Users should be aware of the lock slot design their laptop boasts before setting out to buy a lock. There are three basic types of laptop lock slots built in the chassis of the laptop. Most of the computers have the Kensington Security slot, one of the most trusted models in the industry.
Lenovo also has designed locks especially for its models; it is known as the Mini Security Slot, built for saving space. A handful of Dell laptops also use lock slots made by Noble Locks, a company known for building sturdy and strong laptop locks. It’s always a good practice to check your laptop’s instruction manual to get a better understanding of which lock to buy.
- Anchor point
Before buying a laptop lock, make sure you have a good anchor point to connect it to. A strong and sturdy laptop lock ensures that thieves don’t manage to unlock your laptops easily. Always remember, the anchor point needs to be very strong and sturdy.
Professional desks have grommets for letting cable locks slip through them. If your desk doesn’t have a grommet, you can get an attachable anchor and then connect your laptop to it.
Laptop security is a growing cause of concern ever since the computer has replaced paper as the standard document storage object. Fortunately, there are a lot of laptop locks available in the market that cater to the different requirements of the users.
The Wedge Low Profile Lock is the best option to go with for Dell laptop users. The Kensington MacBook and Surface Lock is the best choice for Apple users. Kensington Combination Cable Lock is the best combination lock available, while Targus Defcon 1 Ultra Notebook Computer Security System is the best one that comes with an alarm.
The choice of a laptop lock depends upon the user and the configuration of his or her system. The type of slot determines which one is compatible with your laptop.