Whenever we are online, the search giant Chrome (or any other web browser for that matter) collects information about the browsing habits and patterns of all its users. What you look for on the internet, your location, operating system, IP address, and hardware; everything is recorded and saved. To maintain your privacy and security, the need of the hour is the best VPN for Chrome.
Apart from avoiding getting tracked on the internet, a VPN Chrome extension comes in handy when you need to overcome geo-location restrictions. Additionally, A VPN also promises better gaming experience and ensures safety while downloading files from torrents.
What Is VPN?
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) masks a user’s IP address and provides him or her a different IP address. It adds a strong layer for security that can be used while transferring sensitive data. For example, if you are located in San Francisco while using a VPN service, you can appear to be in New York or Seattle as per your requirement.
VPN uses an advanced encryption method for all online data transfer, and hence, many personal and professional users turn to VPN for security while transferring sensitive information.
Best VPN For Chrome For Safe And Secure Browsing
The best VPN for Chrome makes sure that you are protected while surfing the web even before you embark on your online journey. Let’s check the best VPN extensions for Chrome that you can use to keep your browsing anonymous and encrypted.
- Express VPN prevents websites from locating the user’s IP address
- It also automatically connects you to more secure servers
- With just one click, you’re connected and can, therefore, instantly start browsing securely.
- You can download or stream any content from any of their servers all across the world.
- ExpressVPN comes with a 3-day free trial
$12.95 per month, $9.99 per month for a six-month plan (billed $59.95 every six months), and $8.32 per month for a one-year plan (billed $99.95 every year).
- Express VPN provides fast speed across all servers
- Unblocks streaming sites abroad, including US Netflix
- 24/7 support available
- Provides advanced security on apps and servers
- No labels for streaming servers
- Expensive subscription
NordVPN is a super-fast extension that keeps your browsing activities anonymous by masking your IP address and encrypting your internet traffic. The best part about this Chrome VPN is that it is incredibly lightweight, so it doesn’t slow down your PC at all. So, if you are searching for a lightweight and fast alternative, NordVPN is the best VPN for Chrome designed to impress.
- NordVPN connects you to the best server automatically
- The CyberSec feature blocks both advertisements and malware
- Ensures safe and secure internet browsing
- NordVPN offers a 30-day free trial
- You can choose fast proxy servers from across 60 countries
Monthly plan at $11.95, yearly plan at $6.66 per month, and a two-year plan at $3.49.
- Provision of top-notch privacy and security
- Kill Switch can prevent a breach of privacy if the server drops the connection
- No DNS leaks
- Issues with server security
DotVPN is the best VPN for Chrome in terms of the unlimited bandwidth it provides. DotVPN opens a whole new world of possibilities during the era of identity protection and thwarting censorship.
- DotVPN offers more than 10 virtual locations, which include countries like the US, the UK, Canada, Japan, Sweden, and many more
- The encryption that DotVPN offers is twice as powerful as what is used in banking transactions
- DotVPN has a 30-day free trial
- A 4096-bit encryption key is provided in the premium version
- This Google Chrome VPN also compresses traffic up to 30% and reduces data usage.
- It has integrated firewall protection which blocks all inbound connections
- It gives you online privacy and security, access to all the websites for audio and video streaming, and secures your connection while you’re using public Wi-Fi hotspots
Monthly plan for $4.99, yearly plan for $2.90 per month, and a three-year plan for $1.60 per month.
- Very fast speed
- Offers 80% of the total features in the free trial
- Cannot breach censorship
- Better customer support required
4. ZenMate VPN
Regarded as the best free VPN extension for Chrome, ZenMate enables the users to avail of the unlimited plan for a lifetime without any cost. The paid subscription, of course, shells out more perks, but you can give it a miss if you do not wish to spend extra cash. However, after signing up, this Google Chrome VPN service makes the premium version available to you for a week.
- ZenMate VPN offers impressive speed
- It gives you access to multiple servers across the globe
- You can also connect a maximum of 5 devices at the same time with one account
- The VPN Chrome Extension is the best cyber-security solution and the easiest way to stay secure online and maintain your privacy
- You can change your current location to another city or country
- Over 30 locations are available, including the US and the UK
- ZenMate has additional security features such as encryption and NATFirewall, which prevents hackers from scanning your device
$2.22 per month after a 30-day trial
- Simplicity of use
- Cost-effective VPN
- Malware and adware blocking
- Needs more features
5. TunnelBear VPN
TunnelBear is the best VPN for Chrome as it doesn’t log any of your data. It protects your online privacy, secures browsing while you’re on a public Wi-Fi, and gives you access to blocked websites.
- You can change your location and choose to connect to servers from more than 20 countries
- TunnelBear VPN reduces the abilities of the Internet Service Providers, websites, and advertisers to track you and your browsing
- This simple and lightweight Chrome VPN extension connects to a lightning-fast private network
- If you’ve been working with VPNs, you’re undoubtedly aware of this brand name
- TunnelBear VPN also has the best ratings if that is your measurement of trust
TunnelBear offers 500MB of secure browsing in the free plan. The unlimited plan charges $3.33 per month, while the Teams plan requires $5.75 per user per month.
- No logging of data
- Works on multiple devices
- Allows torrenting
- Simplicity of use
- Speed plans
Betternet VPN is available for free on Chrome and comes with an easy, one-click installation process. Once you’ve installed it, you can avail of the Google Chrome VPN service without any cost for a lifetime.
- Betternet doesn’t collect logs
- There will be no appearance of ads
- You can switch on and off the VPN with a single button, which is the entire stretch of the user-interface
- Betternet has a simple user interface and is easy to use
- Given the fact that it is a free VPN for Chrome, the service is relatively speedy
Monthly plan at $11.95, six-month plan at $23.99 ($3.99 per month), and yearly plan at $35.99 ($2.99 per month).
- Simple to use
- Good customer service
- No logging of files
- Security features need improvement
Windscribe provides online security and protection solutions for Chrome users. Regarded as the best VPN for Chrome, it secures sensitive data like passwords and encrypts information sent and received through the internet.
- Windscribe blocks your browsing patterns from being leaked to the government, sniffers, hackers, and ISPs
- This VPN is available for free on Chrome and offers auto ad-blocker and easy server switching
- It also comes with default tracking protection, which leaves absolutely no trace of your internet activities
- Windscribe gives users access to multiple connections
- It does not compromise on speed and keeps no logs
- This best VPN extension for Chrome blocks advertisements; removes trackers and prevents personal information from being leaked
The free plan offers usage of up to 10 GB. Pro plan can be bought at $9 per month or $4 per month for a yearly subscription.
- Free 10 GB data usage
- Effective kill switch
- No 24/7 support and live chat
8. Hola Free VPN
Regarded as the best VPN for Chrome by many consumers, Hola is another extension that you can get with just one click. If you want to unblock websites that are otherwise blocked in your region, using Hola is the right decision.
- Hola differs from the others because the traffic passes through the users instead of the server, making IP address tracking difficult
- It enables secure networking for millions of users
- Hola facilitates browsing the web without any kind of censorship
- You can also watch videos with minimum buffering
- The Chrome VPN can run on multiple devices at the same time
- Hola has no bandwidth limit and delivers an ad-free experience
- It comes with a 30-day free trial
Hola offers a free plan and an annual subscription at $7.69 per month
- Free service usage
- Fast speed; can stream 4K videos without buffering
- Shares a user’s bandwidth and CPU time
- Works only with browsers
9. CyberGhost VPN
CyberGhost is the best VPN extension for Chrome that takes a small amount of space, is simple to use, and completely free. The installation is easy, and you will not have to log in to anything to get started. This VPN extension is very bare-bones since there are no settings, nothing extra to play with apart from a switch on/off button, and 4 server locations to choose from.
- Switching between locations is easy and quick, and connecting to the far off servers is instantaneous
- CyberGhost allows you to secure your connection with just one click and unblock any website
- You no longer have to worry about the tracking attempts of prying eyes, nasty websites, and advertisements
- Users can browse online with no fear of hackers, surveillance, or any kind of online tracking
- CyberGhost provides users with IP leak protection
- It can connect to a maximum of 5 devices simultaneously
- The best VPN for Chrome as it does not keep any logs and aims to provide the highest possible speed
Monthly plan at $12.99; one-year plan billed $71.88 annually ($5.99 per month); two-year plan billed $88.56 annually ($3.69 per month); three-year plan billed $99 annually ($2.75 per month).
- Top-notch privacy and security
- Allows fast and simultaneous connections
- Streaming websites can be easily unblocked
- No options for LAN connections
10. Hotspot Shield
Hotspot Shield can be activated with just one click and is easy to operate. It makes multiple server locations accessible like the US, France, Canada, Denmark, and the Netherlands, among many others. If you are using a Windows 10 PC, here’s a short guide on how to setup a VPN.
- Hotspot Shield secures your data with 256-bit encryption on both public and private networks
- There is no restriction on data usage; users get free and unlimited access
- Hotspot Shield enables secure browsing, unblock websites which are restricted in your region, get access to unlimited bandwidth, and secure your Wi-Fi connections
- Ad-free experience, the ability to use it on multiple devices simultaneously, and malware blocking are also available
- It can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously
- Some of the newly added features to this VPN Google Chrome extension include cookie blocking, malware protection, ad blocking, and tracker blocking
Monthly plan for $12.99; one-year plan billed $95.88 annually($7.99 per month); three-year plan billed $107.64 every three years($2.99 per month).
- Excellent speed
- Wide server network
- It unblocks streaming websites
- The Kill Switch feature can be enabled for platforms other than Windows
- High price tag
SaferVPN is lightweight, simple to install and use, and boasts of breakneck speeds. With just one click, you can switch to a secure connection, browse through the internet privately, and unblock any website.
- SaferVPN uses 256-bit data encryption and comes with DNS leak protection
- It has a kill switch that will secure the VPN connection
- The extension keeps no logs
- SaferVPN offers an ad-free experience and promises to never sell your data to any third-party
- Regarded by many as the best VPN for Chrome gives you access to 34 server locations
- Apart from reliably unblocking geo-restricted content, SaferVPN has impressive privacy and security credentials
- It also offers good streaming and download speeds
- Users can enjoy up to 500 Mb of VPN service every month for free using this VPN Chrome extension.
Monthly plan for $12.95; one-year plan billed $65.88 annually($5.49 per month); three-year plan billed $89.99 annually($2.50 per month).
- Manual setup for routers
- Cheap long term plans
- Fast speed of operation
- DNS leaks
- Overall performance can be improved
Yet another free and unlimited VPN extension for Google Chrome, uVPN comes with one-click activation. There is no need to register, and it doesn’t ask for any personal information at the time of setup. This Chrome VPN boasts of a multitude of downloads and mostly positive reviews from the users.
- You can access geo-restricted websites and stream content from your favorite streaming platform
- uVPN gives you unlimited access to internet browsing
- It does not keep any log of your web activity and gives you an ad-free experience.
- Apart from bypassing online censorship, uVPN secures users from the attacks of hackers and sniffers
- It also protects from leakage of the IP addresses
- This Chrome VPN extension helps you in staying anonymous, secured, and unrestricted
- uVPN’s fast and limitless service protects private data and keeps you safe from the prying eyes of third-parties and unauthorized surveillance
$2.99 for a weekly subscription; $9.99 for a monthly subscription; $3.99 per month for a yearly subscription.
- High-end encryption ensures top-notch security
- uVPN offers safe downloading of files
- Geographical freedom
- Slow download speed and latency on servers
If you’re looking for the best VPN extension for Chrome, which is absolutely free, you must try out SetupVPN. It boasts of a 100% free server, unlimited speed, and zero bandwidth limitations. The millions of people who have installed this Chrome extension VPN are using it with great ease. Irrespective of whether you are an expert or a beginner, you can conveniently use SetupVPN.
- All your data is encrypted, so you do not have to worry about leaking out sensitive information
- You can choose from around 100 server locations around the world, and they keep on adding more
- SetupVPN protects your internet activities and data while you’re on public Wi-Fi
- They also guarantee to provide users with the best possible speed
- You can get yourself registered in a hassle-free manner, and they have a proper provision for providing you with solutions to your queries
- You can change your location to keep hackers at bay and prevent dubious websites from saving your personal information and details
- Keep your browsing activities secured by using military-grade encryption and access websites that are blocked by the government, workplace, or colleges
- SetupVPN offers 1000 servers across 18 locations in the free plan
Weekly plan for $4; monthly plan for $6; 3-month plan for $16; 6-month plan for $28; one-year plan for $35; two-year plan for $50.
- Affordable pricing
- Simplicity of use
- Fast speed of operation
- It keeps logs of browsing history
14. Surfshark VPN
The kind of value provided by a VPN in a price range is the primary concern of any user. Fortunately, Surfshark doesn’t disappoint in this aspect. Thanks to its advanced features, it could be the best VPN for Chrome you are looking for.
- Surfshark prevents identity leaks with AES-256 encryption and a kill switch
- It doesn’t collect incoming and outgoing IP addresses and any kind of browsing history
- Surfshark boasts 1700 servers in 63 countries
- The CleanWeb feature blocks ads, trackers, and malicious links
- The NoBorders mode helps you get online in countries where VPNs are generally blocked
- This Chrome extension VPN has a privacy-friendly logging policy
- It offers a 30-day free trial
Pricing: Monthly plan for $11.95, yearly plan for $1.99 per month, and a two-year plan for $5.99 per month.
- Bounty of features
- Offers good speed
- 24/7 live support and live chat available
- Kill switch performance
If you are looking for the best VPN for Chrome in terms of basic browsing, look no further than RusVPN. This VPN is easy to set up and use; it offers strong encryption and ensures your data privacy and security is maintained well. If you are new to using VPNs, RusVPN should definitely be your first choice.
- RusVPN has no logs policy and 256-bit encryption
- It also has many protocols such as OpenVPN, L2TP, and PPTP, so you’re covered on whichever platform you decide to run RusVPN
- RusVPN provides a Kill Switch that helps you stay private, in case your connection to the VPN drops
- It has 338 servers in 30+ countries
- It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 7-day free trial
Monthly plan for $9.99; yearly plan billed $59.88 annually($4.99 per month); three-year plan billed $35.99 every three years($2.99 per month).
- It is easy to use
- There are no DNS leaks
- Good for basic and first-time users
- Operating speed needs to improve; not speedy enough
Probably the easiest VPN Chrome extension to remember, isn’t it? VeePN delivers every basic functionality that you would expect of a good VPN service provider. It has a slew of features that will suffice for basic users; if you want more, however, you will need to upgrade your subscription or else try a different VPN service.
- VeePN has a strict no-logs policy
- It operates 2500 servers in 50 different countries
- VeePN provides a Kill Switch and ensures no DNS leaks take place
- You can connect VeePN to up to 10 devices simultaneously
- This VPN Chrome extension offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
Monthly plan for $10.99 per month; one-year plan billed $$69.99 annually($5.83 per month); five-year plan billed $99.99 annually($1.67 per month
- Good choice for basic users
- Simplicity of use
- Excellent customer service
- Cheap five-year subscription
- Good choice for Torrenting
- Slow speeds for some locations
- Windows version has Kill Switch issues
17. Private Internet Access
If you are looking out for the best VPN extension for Chrome that offers a plethora of features at an affordable price, Private Internet Access is the answer to your question. Blessed with a wide network and configuration options, this VPN Chrome extension certainly won’t disappoint you.
- PIA provides 3300+ P2P serves across 30 different countries
- It is also known for supporting a wide range of platforms
- Users can connect this best VPN for Chrome to 10 devices simultaneously
- PIA also offers built-in blockers for ads, trackers, and malicious websites by using its MACE feature
- It reduces the chances of DNS leaks
- Kill Switch is available for desktop, iOS, and Android
- The desktop clients are open-sourced, meaning users can view the source code and report bugs as and when necessary
- It also supports Torrenting
- Value for money VPN
- Offers fast speed
- Torrenting is possible using PIA
- No trial
- No live chat support
Does Google Chrome Have A VPN?
One of the most popular questions surrounding Google Chrome and Virtual Private Networks. Unfortunately, the answer is no; Google Chrome doesn’t have a built-in VPN; users require VPN extensions to surf securely on the browser. Incognito mode is the most popular method for secure browsing, but that doesn’t mask your IP address as securely as a VPN does.
Final Thoughts on Best VPN for Chrome
By using a VPN, your IP address is masked and a new address is allotted to you by the VPN, thus adding a strong layer to your security and privacy. Users should be alert and thoroughly knowledgeable about the services of the product you’re using. Irrespective of what they claim, if something is coming to you for free, it often means that the end-user is the product. Therefore, you should avail of a paid service for complete peace of mind.
The best VPN for Chrome, in our opinion, is ExpressVPN. Hotspot Shield and TunnelBear are easy places to start with. Hola is one of the most well-liked VPN extensions to date, and NordVPN is lightweight and doesn’t compromise on speed. ZenMate is the best if you’re looking for a free service. Regardless of the opinions and the suggestions mentioned above, users can try out any VPN service that fits the bill of their requirements.