Isn’t Gmail our go-to email service? What do you do when you are expecting an importing email, but don’t see it? You’ve either misplaced it in a hurry or lost it! Gmail gives its users the facility to retrieve emails they have deleted by mistake or even voluntarily. Well, it’s time to learn how to archive and how to retrieve archived emails in Gmail messages.
What does archiving do? Google’s Gmail, one of the best free email service, provides you with the opportunity to save messages in a folder that can be viewed later. The archive is a part of your email but not a part of your inbox. Every time you archive an email on Gmail, it is no longer a part of your inbox. However, it is still saved. This means you can recover any email that you’ve accidentally sent to the Gmail archive folder if you need it.
Wondering how to archive Gmail and how to retrieve archived emails in Gmail? Well, just like the process of archiving emails in Gmail is easy, so is the method of restoring the messages to the inbox.
But before we further discuss Google mail archive, let us show you how to archive emails in Gmail.
How to Archive Emails in Gmail
So, if you want to clean up your inbox or make some space in your Gmail inbox, but do not want to delete emails permanently, archiving them is a good idea. Your Gmail archived emails are removed from the inbox, but not gone from your account. They are a part of a separate folder and you can access it whenever you want.
We’ll show you how to archive Gmail via the browser and phone app.
How to Archive Gmail via Browser
Follow the steps mentioned below to archive your emails:
1. Log in to your Gmail account and open your inbox.
2. Select the emails you want to archive by checking the box next to them. You can also select multiple emails at the same time.
3. Now, click the black box with a down arrow icon which is at the top; second from the left in your inbox, as shown in the picture below. Click on the ‘archive icon’.
All the emails that you’ve selected will now be archived.
How to Archive Emails in Gmail via Mobile App
Here are the steps you need to follow to archive your emails in your smartphone, Android or iOS:
1. Go to your Gmail phone app login. Next, open your inbox.
2. Select the emails you want to archive by checking the box next to them.
3. Click on the ‘archive icon’ as shown in the picture below.
All the emails that you’ve selected will be archived.
We’ve shown you how to archive Gmail via both browsers and phones. As you can see from the pictorial representation, the process is the same.
How to Find Archived Emails in Gmail
Although the emails that you archive are no longer a part of your inbox, the messages are still stored in your Gmail account and can be easily retrieved in a few steps. These emails also stay indexed and appear each time you search for your Gmail messages.
You can access Gmail archived emails on your PC, cell phone, or tablet. You can check and read all the messages when they are archived. However, if you wish to continue the conversation, it is a better option to move the archived emails to your inbox.
But, do you know where do archived emails go in Gmail?
Well, the emails that are archived, go to the ‘All Mail’ label. And, you can send back the archived messages to your mailbox. This enables you to use your messages in the same way you do when you receive them for the first time.
How to Retrieve Archived Emails in Gmail via a Browser
Let us understand the process of how to retrieve archived emails in Gmail? Follow these steps which will guide you step by step to access Google mail archive.
1. Sign in to your Gmail account via the browser. On the left side of the page, you will see navigation icons. Take your cursor there.
2. Select ‘More’ (which you’ll find towards the end of the list) to display all the additional options available.
3. Click on ‘All Mail’ from the panel. This folder consists of all the emails you’ve ever received and also the ones you’ve archived.
4. ‘Check the boxes’ next to the messages you wish to send back to the mailbox. The emails that are already a part of the inbox have ‘inbox’ written right next to the subject line.
Any email which doesn’t have ‘inbox’ written next to it means it is a part of Gmail archived mail.
5. Once you’ve checked the emails, click on ‘Move to Inbox.’
6. A confirmation message appears on the left end of the screen stating the number of emails you’ve moved into the inbox. If you wish to revert the process, click on ‘Undo.’
How to Retrieve Archived Emails in Gmail using the Mobile App
Wondering how to view archived emails in Gmail using the mobile app? You can access your Gmail archive folder using the app by following the given steps.
1. Open the Gmail app on your phone to access your inbox.
2. Click on the 3 dash lines or the hamburger menu made next to the Inbox and go to ‘All Mail’.
3. Click once to open the message you wish to retrieve.
4. Click on the 3 dots that appear at the top-right corner of the screen.
5. Select ‘Move to Inbox.’
But, is a deleted mail and an archived mail in Gmail the same?
No, deleting emails and archiving them isn’t the same. When you delete an email, it goes to the Gmail bin and stays there for a month. Gmail automatically deletes all the emails in the trash folder after a month has passed.
Find Archived Gmail Messages Deleted by Accident
Did you delete an archived message by mistake or intentionally? Do you want it back? As you already know, all your emails will stay in the trash folder for a month. However, you can still restore the deleted emails that are there in the bin.
How to Retrieve Archived Emails in Gmail that are in the Trash folder
The ‘Trash’ folder or the ‘Bin’ as it may be called, functions as a 30-day recycle bin. You can open the ‘Trash’ folder and redirect the deleted archived emails back to the mailbox. Once you have the email in your inbox, you can send it back to the Gmail archive.
So, let’s check how to retrieve archived emails in Gmail that are in the Trash folder.
1. Sign in to your Gmail account to access the inbox.
2. On the left panel, click on ‘More.’
3. Select ‘Trash.’
4. Check the messages you want to recover from the trash folder.
5. Go to the ‘Move to’ icon and choose ‘Inbox.’
6. Once you’ve moved the selected messages to the inbox, you can then send them back to the Gmail archive folder by clicking on the icon as shown below.
So, now you can retrieve archived emails in Gmail that are in the Trash folder
How to Access Archived Emails in Gmail Utilizing the Search Bar
Gmail’s search bar can be used to find archived Gmail messages. You can filter out all the emails that are a part of the inbox, drafts, note mails from the ‘All Mail’ folder by entering a discrete search operator. The search result will then display only Gmail archived emails.
You can retrieve all your archived emails by typing in this specific search operator in the search bar:
-label:inbox -label:sent -label:drafts -label:notes -in:Chats
Then press enter.
This action will filter out all the emails in your inbox, sent items, drafts, notes, and chats; if any. You will then be left out with a list of archived emails only.
You can open these messages or restore them in the inbox by checking them off and clicking on the icon which says ‘Move to Inbox’.
Last resort: Contacting Gmail Support Team
Still wondering where do archived emails go? If you’ve tried all the above methods and are still unable to retrieve archived emails, the last solution is contacting the Gmail Support Team.
Sometimes, the ‘Trash’ folder might be cleared automatically or accidentally. In such cases, you can seek help from the Gmail support staff to retrieve your deleted messages.
However, if you think your archived emails and other messages are missing, you can visit this page and try to get your issues resolved.
Handy Tips to Avoid Unintentional Archiving
Archiving an email by mistake is fairly easy. Let us tell you how to avoid slipping into it by taking the following precautions:
1. The most essential tip involves taking your time while scrolling through your Gmail account whether you’re logged in through your PC, phone, or tablet. Make sure you do not end up making sudden swiping actions, for example, moving your fingers left to right.
2. If you’re using the Gmail app, you can change the settings of the archive swipe motion via General Settings > Swipe Actions.
3. Always keep your eyes open and stay alert while you receive any notification confirming an action you took, in this case, a message stating a conversation has been archived. Most of these actions usually come with an Undo button. Use as and when required.
We’ve shown you how to archive emails in Gmail via the browser and mobile app. We’ve also listed all the probable solutions that explain how to retrieve archived emails in Gmail. So, be it intentional archiving of specific messages or unintentional, there’s a fix for everything.
Irrespective of whether you’re accessing your Gmail via a browser or phone app to access Gmail archived emails, we’ve got you covered. Do not forget to contact the Gmail support staff in case you’re still in need of a solution by clicking on the link we’ve given. The tips, of course, come in handy while you’re aiming to make no errors whatsoever.
You can use the Gmail archive facility to put your old emails in the Gmail archive folder and avoid cluttering your inbox. Archiving hides the mails from your direct view, but they are still a part of your account. You can always go back to those emails for re-reading or reference purposes.