Customizing your Windows 7 OS is fun and with the right themes and tools, you can truly create a complete personalized experience on your computer.
We already offer our readers with a number of Windows 7 Themes and write about other customization tools often.
One such tool is the Windows 7 Start Orb Changer, which allows users to use custom Start buttons which will match the themes or wallpaper they are using.
Lets look at some of its features and how it works.
Windows 7 Start Orb Changer In Action:
This tool is a portable app, so you do not need to install it. Simply download it and extract the contents of the zip file in the desired folder.
1) Right Click on the Program Icon and Click “Run as Administrator”
The main interface of this app would be shown. You can click the small arrow at the right bottom to view and close the options for this software.
2) Click on the change button and choose the start orb image you wish to use.
Check out our Windows 7 Start Orbs Collection that can be used with any of our Windows 7 Themes.
3) The Windows Explorer will now restart automatically and you will be able to see the new start orb/button which you chose.
The Start Orb changer app will notify you if the Start button has changed. Click on the OK button.
You can always click on the “Restore” button to get back the Original Windows 7 Start Orb.
Windows 7 Start Button Changer – Options:
This app provides a few options. You can access them in the advanced view.
You can enable the “Shortcut in Context Menu” option to access this app anytime you want from your desktop.
The “Option in Context Menu” on the other hand adds an option to use any .bmp or .png image as your start orb.
Note: If you are using SP1 or any Windows updates, check the Replace By Editing Resources option and try.
Windows 7 Start Orb Changer Features:
- Allows you to change the orb in four different ways:
- Context Menu
- Drag & Drop
- Change Button
- Command Line (Syntax only contains orb location)
- Works with all DPIs (If the orb is too big or too small it will automatically resize it)
- Works with both x86/32-bit and x64/64-bit
- Works with both PNG and BMP file formats
- Can integrate with desktop context menu
- Can integrate with PNG and BMP file formats’ context menu
- Allows you to change the orb in two different methods:
- Memory Patching – Edits the start orb in memory which doesn’t cause any UAC prompts
- Resource Editing – Edits the start orb by replacing resources of %windir%\explorer.exe
- Easy-To-Use & clean interface
- Use it normally without manually tweaking any settings. Use the advanced interface to choose how the orbs are applied.
Update: Windows 7 Start Orb Changer is discontinued. Alternative link is given below